At Hebron Smiles in Carrollton, TX we understand that fear and anxiety prevents many individuals from seeking the dental care they need. If dental anxiety is coming between you and a set of healthy teeth, we have a solution for you, sedation dentistry. We offer several options for sedation to alleviate anxiety and allow even the most fearful patients to receive necessary dental care.
Three types of Sedation offered at Hebron Smiles
- Oral Conscious Sedation
Oral Conscious sedation is a great option for patients with mild to moderate anxiety.
How it works:
- Arrange transportation to and from the office by a family member or friend.
- Prior to your appointment, you will take a prescribed medication while you are still at home. This FDA-approved medication is safe with a proven history of effectiveness.
- During treatment, you will be awake and responsive, but in a comfortable, fully-relaxed state. Most patients have very little, if any, memory of the dental visit.
- After treatment, the time it takes the sedative to wear off completely varies by individual patient. All patients will be alert before leaving. Patients should avoid sports, operating vehicles, and other physical activity for the remainder of the day.
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation
Better known as laughing gas, this type of sedation is given right before treatment and helps patients with mild anxiety. The effects of nitrous oxide wear off very quickly after the procedure.
How it works:
- Prior to treatment, the patient will breathe the nitrous oxide gas mixed with oxygen through a nasal mask.
- The amount of nitrous oxide administered can be adjusted up or down during the treatment.
- Patients can drive themselves to and from the appointment since the effects wear off quickly.
- IV Sedation
IV Sedation therapy is optimal for patients facing lengthy procedures.
How it works:
- Patients will need to arrange transportation because driving and operating heavy machinery are prohibited for 24 hours after treatment.
- The calming medication is delivered intravenously prior to receiving treatment and can be continually controlled throughout the procedure.
- Patients are responsive to the dental staff but will not feel anything and will not remember the treatment.
- The effects of the medication wear off differently depending on the individual, for some the medications wear off almost immediately while others may feel groggy for a while.
Candidates for Sedation Dentistry
Both adults and children who experience anxiety about dental care can benefit from the various sedation options we offer at Hebron Smiles. All our dental sedation offerings are designed to alleviate fear to make visiting the dentist’s office a more comfortable experience. Besides fear, other reasons patients may benefit from sedation dentistry include:
- Low tolerance for pain
- Sensitive teeth
- Strong gag reflex
- Multiple dental procedures needed
Before proceeding with sedation, we will discuss any medications that you are currently taking along with your medical history. During this consultation we can determine which type of sedation will be best for you.
How sedation dentistry can prevent future dental problems
At Hebron Smiles, we understand the impact dental anxiety can have on oral health, and we see the negative effects of neglecting dental care. Many common dental issues do not cause pain until they have progressed to a critical level. Cavities often silently progress until they reach the pulp chamber where the nerves are located, causing sudden, intense pain. Bacteria can slowly eat away the bone around the teeth, quietly causing problems below the surface of the gum. In fact, in many cases we don’t see patients until they are experiencing late-stage symptoms of a problem that has been slowly developing over time. If you wait for extreme discomfort before seeking care, chances are you’ll need more extensive treatment than if we could have treated the problem early.
Maintaining regular dental check-ups ultimately means fewer treatments and less costs over time.
At Hebron Smiles, our team is dedicated to giving patients a comfortable, worry-free dental experience. Sedation dentistry is just one way we help all our patients enjoy healthy, beautiful smiles. If you are in the Carrollton, TX area, call us today to schedule an appointment to discuss your concerns about the dentist’s office and let us become your partner in better oral health.