Restore Your Smile With Mercury-Free Fillings
We believe in offering you and your family the high standard of dental care that we would want for ourselves. For this reason, we do not place silver amalgam fillings. Amalgam has been in use for more than 150 years. In this time, newer and more appropriate techniques and materials have been developed to repair teeth damaged by decay. In our office, patients are treated with tooth-colored fillings made with a durable composite material that blends into the smile.
There are several advantages to tooth repair with composite fillings:
- Treatment restores the most natural appearance.
- The bonding process for tooth-colored fillings leads to outstanding strength and longevity.
- Because fillings are bonded in place, the overall procedure is more conservative than restoration with dental amalgam.
- A high percentage of original strength, 85-95 percent, is restored to a tooth repaired with a composite filling.
- Bonding leads to the immediate curing of a tooth-colored filling.
- Minimal tooth sensitivity has been reported with composite fillings.
- Composite material is appropriate for any tooth in the mouth because it looks and functions like natural enamel.
What to expect
The treatment process for tooth-colored fillings requires a few steps. Because filling material is bonded to enamel, there is a minimal need for drilling. For this reason, many patients can have teeth repaired without local anesthetic. Your comfort is a priority to us. We can assess the need for numbing medication based on the size of the cavity and on your level of tolerance for dental treatment. Using gentle techniques, Dr. Saleem removes all damaged tooth material. A conditioning liquid is applied to the tooth to open pores in enamel. A bonding solution is applied into the pores, where it is cured. This facilitates the strongest bond between the tooth and composite material.
After placing the putty-like composite onto the tooth, Dr. Saleem shapes and trims it as needed to achieve optimal fit before curing the material. After the filling has hardened in the tooth, we confirm a comfortable bite. We also make sure that the filling does not impede your ability to floss. If necessary, adjustments are made to the filling before it is polished to look just like a natural tooth.
For five-star patient care, schedule your visit in our Carrollton dental office.