Naturally straight teeth are a rarity. Most people suffer some degree of misalignment and would like to correct it. Humans have expressed the desire for straight teeth for centuries! We can find evidence of "orthodontic" care dating back to the BC era, and mentioned within the works of Hippocrates and Aristotle. It took until the mid-19th century, however, for a viable system to be developed. Since that time, standard bracket-and-wire braces have been improving smiles around the world.
There are situations for which metal braces are the most appropriate method of treating misalignment and malocclusion. However, a high percentage of patients would prefer to avoid the downside of braces, such as:
- A feeling of "loose teeth."
- Limitations to food choices (for up to two years of treatment).
- Gum irritation due to decreased hygiene efficiency.
- Sores or injury to cheeks or lips, caused by wires.
- Chronic discomfort due to the exertion of force from braces.
- Worry over the increased risk of decay or "spots" on teeth around brackets.
The Invisalign alternative
The development of the Invisalign aligner method has brought about an excellent alternative for teens and adults wishing to correct mild to moderate misalignment. The discreet, removable trays made from BPA-free plastic are created in a series. Each set is made to fit in a specific manner to achieve predictable, progressive movement. There no wires to tighten; patients simply switch trays every two weeks until they have worn each set provided to them.
Because Invisalign aligners are barely noticeable, patients find the required wear (approximately 22 hours a day) easy. Meals and oral hygiene remain as they have always been because aligners can be removed before eating and for brushing and flossing. This is a significant benefit because it does not make the patient feel deprived of favorite foods, and it also promotes healthy teeth and gums all the way through the treatment plan.
Benefits of Invisalign include:
- Aligners are virtually undetectable, so do not adversely affect appearance.
- There are no brackets or wires to injure soft tissues in the mouth.
- Fewer visits are necessary because no tightening is required.
- Many patients complete their treatment program in about 12 months.
- It is easy for most patients to adjust to aligners and to feel confident speaking with them in place.
See how Invisalign differs from braces. Call Hebron Smiles in Carrollton at 972-394-4300.
Adnan Saleem, DMD
Dr. Adnan Saleem
, having graduated with a DMD degree from Temple University School of Dentistry began his career as a general dentist. For over a decade he has continued to advance his education and skillset through numerous training courses and his membership with Modern study club. Dr. Saleem is known for treating his patients both respectfully and compassionately. Connect with Dr. Adnan Saleem on